Monday, July 25, 2011

Sweet Dill Pickles

I have been wanting to try canning pickles this year. Not just any pickles but pickles made in my 5 gallon crock that will take days and lots of work. Unfortunately the cucumber beetles have a different plan for me and my dream of homemade pickles. I have been fighting them all summer and they are winning. :( Since I only use organic ways of gardening this has become a big problem for me.I am down to about 3 plants out of about 30. I decided today to replant some more in a "secret" location. Fingers crossed they dont find my new plants and that I will hopefully be making pickles this fall. I tried this recipe over the weekend to tide me over til then. They were very easy and very good. Give them a try. Almost like candy!
                                                               Sweet Dill Pickles
.2 (32 ounce) jars dill pickles



  • 4 cups white sugar, divided




  • 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar




  • 1/2 cup water




  • 1 tablespoon pickling spice



  • Directions

    1. Drain pickles and slice into 1/4 inch pieces. Place in a medium bowl with 2 cups sugar. Stir, cover and allow to stand at room temperature 6 to 8 hours, or overnight.
    2. In a medium saucepan, mix together the remaining sugar, vinegar, water and pickling spice. Bring to a boil. Pour over the pickles. Allow the mixture to stand at room temperature 6 to 8 hours, or overnight.
    3. Transfer the pickles to sterile jars and store in the refrigerator. Serve chilled.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...