Saturday, January 29, 2011

Put On Your Dancing Shoes and Roll Up The Rug! WIth SOUND!

My Grandma Doris said that every Saturday night when she was a girl my Great Grandma would clear out all the furniture in their living room, roll up the rug , invite over all the neighborhood friends,wind up the victrola and they would DANCE! How wonderful that would of been to see as a child.

I am a proud owner of not one but two victrolas now. The first one I ever heard belonged to my brother and sister in law. There was just something about that scratchy old time sound that sucked me right in. I was hooked. My first Victrola I bought at an auction.It is a floor model and it was the most common and affordable one they made for its time period
The cabinet is in pretty rough shape, it has a lot of water damage and needed a little bit of work to get it going but the sound that comes out of it is just amazing and it uses NO electricity. That is just so remarkable to me.
The sound box
If you open the cabinet doors the sound will get louder.The bottom of the cabinet stores your records.
This Victrola I believe is from the early 20's. You can listen to it here
The song is called Put A Little Salt on the Bluebirds Tail (Before He flies Away)
Close your Eyes and picture dancing a Saturday night away

My New Victrola was a Christmas present from my brother and sister in law this past Christmas.It is a tabletop version and it is simply just beautiful. It is Oak with a Tiger Stripe finish. I just Love it!
I dont have a perfect spot picked out for it yet so right now its in our Parlor.I hope to get a table for it at an upcoming Auction someday.

The Famous Logo
Each One has its own Serial Number. This one is from around 1919

What it would look like with the table that was designed for it  .


One of the record albums I received with it. I plan on making this a new tradition every year at Christmas time. Some hot cocoa, my family and the Christmas Carol on the Victrola. :)
One of the record sleeves. Amazing that its in such great shape after all these years.
A close up of the For Victory Symbol and a reminder of what America was going through and really how appreciative we all should be today.

 I am on the search for this one. I LOVE Halloween! Would be pretty great to hear this on the victrola . AND its Bing Crosby! Baaa baaa baa baa bmmm. One of my favorite stories.

Listen to my Tabletop Victrola
This Is Doris Day.
Your Mother and Mine
"Peter Pan"

If you long for the old days like I do all you have to do is close your eyes and listen. I can see my  Great Grandma Amelia with her beautiful smile, in a pretty dress ,just gliding across that dining room floor.

You know what
It is Saturday today and Im getting the urge to move some furniture ;) anyone in the mood to dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...